DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I recently had a panel of labs done by my neurologist

Customer Question

Hello I recently had a panel of labs done by my neurologist he had his assistant call me and tell me to make sure I was not taking any vitamin B6 because my levels were high, also my vitamin D was deficient. I do not take any vitamin B6 is there anything else that can cause the elevated levels? I also have early stage kidney disease and early stage CHF so I was wondering if it could be related to these. I don't go back for my follow up for another 3 weeks so if it's something related I'd like to know now.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello.Thanks for requesting me. Frankly what causes high vitamin B levels is typically lab error if you are not taking supplements. I have never seen it be of consequence.Low D however, is, and that should be supplemented. The main concern with B6 is if you are deficient [low]. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was the second time he did this lab due to his concern of it being an error. I've had symptoms of neuropathy (I believe he called it) so is it possible some type of malfunctioning in the kidney could be causing this?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
NoThis is not a symptom of kidney disease.In fact, I have researched this over and over again. Acute liver inflammation might raise B6 but generally it is an unknown cause. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.