Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have had no bowel movement days and my doctor wants

Customer Question

I have had no bowel movement for 20 days and my doctor wants me to go back to the ER. I take long acting OxyContin 40mg twice a day. I have been on this for a while. Could this be the cause? I don't want to be to the ER And have them tell me I am wasting
there time
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Yes the Oxycontin is probably very much related to cause. You probably have fecal impaction with 20 days of no BM. You should go to ER. They will probably need to disimpact you and give a couple or few enemas.Later you may start SENOKOT S 2 tablets twice a day as an option that may help with the pain medication induced constipation.You would likely benefit to follow up with a gastroenterologistYou may have better bowel function of you can tolerate lower dose of your pain medication as well.I hope that this is helpful for you Let me know if I may be of further help.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Also after you get lower GI tract cleaned out a regular regimen with some Miralax every other day could be helpful as well.I would encourage you to follow up with a gastroenterologist for this ...Let me know if you have further questions or discussionI will be happy to get back with you!Please remember to leave positive feedback..Thank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice it meant a lot 😊. I have been given two more enema's ( with no luck 😔). What else should I make sure that all necessary tests are being done before they send me home?
Hello again,Well I have seen cases where gastroenterologist may give four high retention enemas to help clear out colon or more in few cases...I think you need follow up with gastroenterologist as main measure going forward .I would advise try regimen of Sennakot S 2 tablets twice a day plus Miralax one dose plus 8 ounces of fluid EVERY OTHER DAY Reduce regimen if problem of diarrhea is developing. Regimen is only suggestion at this point but your GI specialist may indicate a different possible regimen.... I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if I may be of further help.Please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards!Anthony Bray MD