Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

What happens if you ingest about 1/2 teaspoon of ground up

Customer Question

What happens if you ingest about 1/2 teaspoon of ground up glass? How long will it take to works its way out of your body? What kind of damages can it do to your kidneys etc.?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't like what I see. I want a refund, so cancel the question. This is not what I expected. Nothing said there was a charge before I started, so I don't feel right about this. Please refund, and forget the question, since there has been no answer there should be no charge. L Thor
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 1 year ago.
Hello, It is not possible to predict what happens, most likely nothing happens because ground glass powder is likely to pass unchanged in feces. Minor abrasions may occur along the passage, right up to anus but will heal soon. No damage to kidneys is possible because there is no question of any particle reaching there. Gut lining will not absorb any. So no particle can circulate in blood.
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 1 year ago.
It may take 48-72 hours for the glass particles to traverse the gut length and some particles may linger in large gut a bit longer.