Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have red bumps that appear singly, or in clusters of

Customer Question

hi, I have red bumps that appear singly, or in clusters of two or three together. They are not scabies, I can tell. They start art under the skin, like a boil, but don't have as much of a blister head to them. They would almost seem to be mosquito bites, but I get them when there are no Mosquitos around. Have looked closely and seen no bugs, not even tiny ones. They itch sometimes but not all the time. They pop up various places all over my body but not my scalp or face (so far;knock on wood!). Each one lasts for a few days and then subsides, leaving a tiny dark spot that fades slowly. The rate of new ones seems to be increasing. I've had it for a few weeks. I did a treatment of permethrin last night but the bumps are worse today, coming up more. Any ideas as to what it might be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
do you have any pics?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not able to take clear pictures of the bumps. They are slightly red, and range in size from 3 mm diameter to a little over 1 cm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can take pics later tonight and will send them then. How would I upload a picture?
Attach here or upload to photobucket and provide the link
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
image number 904 is what they look like after a week and a half or so. They crop up like a boil from under the surface of the skin and then itch like crazy, then itch on and off for a week or so, then turn dark brown and dry up. rate of new ones is increasing. I even have them on a pinkie and my elbow.
Are the painful at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not painful. Itchy. Itchy for first week and a half, on and off. Not itchy constantly.
I think these are bug bites. Is that possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is possible. But I have looked very closely at my skin when it itches and my bed and I see no bugs, not even very tiny ones. I have experience with fleas, lice, crabs, scabies and ringworm and it behaves like none of those. Do you know of any bugs too small to see with the naked eye that bite people?
Yes. Ironically they are called noseeums
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have heard of Noseeums but thought they were outdoor bugs. I've been getting bites in doors and out of doors. Can you describe these bugs? Do you know what the treatment is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More bites appear each day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No see ums are tiny but visible. I have been bit by them before, always outside and could see them. I am not convinced that those are whats biting me...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Usually it is at night. They are tiny fly like bugs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said, I have seen Noseeums outside and felt them bite me. These bites happen while I am inside. They occur at work, at home, on the bus, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I have seen Noseeums they are tiny but visible. I have not seen any bugs at all.
Yes but remember they can bite you outside then the bite shows up later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, well, by the number of new ones appearing when I haven't even been outside, and on parts of my body not exposed, the Noseeums theory is flawed. If the bumps or bites or whatever appear on my belly, under my shirt and not on my exposed ankles for example, that does not sound like Noseeums. I am not satisfied with that diagnosis.
Could it be scabies or bed bugs?