Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been having diarrhea since saturday going about 3-4

Customer Question

Hi I have been having diarrhea since saturday going about 3-4 times a day. On sat I ate a a bagel and cream cheese with a coffee. I usually try to stay away from dairy. That day my stomach was upset and I thought that was probably the reason. However it has been going on now since saturday. I don't feel pain or cramping in my stomach just more of an urge to have a bowel movement. i also noticed area around my rectum is irritated and my urine is slightly darker yellow than usual. Is this something I should be very concerned about? I don't feel nauseous, no fever, still have an appetite but after I eat I need to go. Please advise
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.Your symptoms are most likely due to a viral infection of your gut called as viral gastroenteritis.The urine is more yellow because you are a bit dehydrated.You should try your level best to increase your fluid intake and take more and more electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade and pedialyte.I would also recommend taking imodium one capsule after each loose stool to a maximum of 8 in any given day.If your symptoms persist after the next forty-eight hours or if your symptoms worsen i.e. if you start having more diarrhea then you should be seen.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars at your end.Kind regards