Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am 60. Reciently visited doctor and BP was 154/85. I am

Customer Question

I am 60. Reciently visited doctor and BP was 154/85. I am taking Diovan/HCT 320/25. He told me that regardless of age, my BP should optimaly be 120/70. Is it possible for a 60 year old man to bring it down that low without medication? It has never been that low in my life. Or is it too late.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidit is not too late to treat your high blood pressure.getting your blood pressure into the 130-140 range over 80s would be a good thing.without medications, you have to loose weight, decrease your salt intake, exercise regularly and not smoke and control your cholesterol levels for your blood pressure to normally come down.for most people at age 60, it can be very difficult to do all of those thingsand most patients age 60 require blood pressure medications to help bring down their blood pressure levelshigh blood pressure levels increase your risks for heart attack and stroke and damage to your kidneys.so your doctor is trying to lower your blood pressure to help decrease your risks for heart attack and stroke and damage to your kidneys from happening in the future.let me know if you have questions.