Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I lost MY Xanax on a business trip. I know it's a controlled

Customer Question

I lost MY Xanax on a business trip. I know it's a controlled substance! I take my Xanax as ordered due to my stressful career & history of panic attacks. It's too early to for my refill. Help? What to do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
There is not much that you can do. The lifestyle interventions to help ease stress, as you are doing, is reasonable. But from the perspective of the medicine, the only good option would be to contact your regular doctor. There is increasing pressure on doctors and most will not prescribe more when pills are lost, but this is the only reasonable option. If you were to see a different doctor and acquire a prescription, then your regular doctor may refuse to ever write another prescription. If you develop significant withdrawal symptoms or a severe panic attack, then it would be an option to be seen in an Emergency Room.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.