Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Male/30/5'10"/178 - I recently started getting bloated after

Customer Question

Male/30/5'10"/178 - I recently started getting bloated after meals, and feeling some heartburn (light). It goes away, but then I'll feel light pressure in spots around my stomach, usually in the top middle and bottom slightly off center. I also seem to get butterflies in my stomach for no reason throughout the day (although anxiety from other symptoms could be the cause). My health insurance kicks in on the 1st, and just wanted to make sure I was okay to wait.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. Yes, it would be OK to wait. However, there also are some options that you can try at home until you are seen. It may help to take a medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as ranitidine or omeprazole. There also are medicines for gas that may help ease the bloating, such as simethicone or activated charcoal. If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should also note that I feel the need to burp a lot, despite generally eating fairly well. Pepto Bismol did not help. The tingling, butterflies feeling is the most disconcerting. It's pretty constant, and even though it doesn't hinder me in any way, it's been bothering me since it's been going on for a few days. BP has been around 117-125/70-80 when checked at home. Heart rate has been slightly high, but I haven't been exercising as much the past few months (80-85 resting). The pressure spots at first seemed like maybe I had a hernia, but because it's not at the same spot, I'm guessing that's not the case.
The blood pressure and heart rate are fine. The symptoms that you are having could be related to a hiatal hernia, but would be more likely due to acid reflux, which can be associated with a hiatal hernia, but many have acid reflux without a hiatal hernia.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a warning sign that I should look out for? As in, something that I shouldn't wait to get checked out?
The symptoms that would warrant an emergent evaluation would be severe pain, severe vomiting, or vomiting blood, but from your description, you are far from developing these symptoms.