Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My hearing has just deteriorated very quickly. First in the

Customer Question

My hearing has just deteriorated very quickly. First in the left ear, about 4 weeks ago, and today in the right ear also. We had been travelling up until last week for seven weeks on planes and ships. I am age 66. An audiologist is recommending hearing aids but I'm wondering if there is another solution. Testing before the right ear went indicated I would have trouble hearing female and children's voices
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, It is important to find out where you have conductive hearing loss or sensorineural hearing loss or mixed. Women and children's voice suggest high frequency hearing loss which is common with aging. But it does not tell use if you have conductive or sensorineural hearing loss. Conductive hearing loss can be corrected fully often, while sensorineural is more difficult to treat properly. Sudden onset of hearing loss can be due to the labyrinthitis or acute inflammation of the hearing organ in the inner ear.A course of high dose steroid like prednisone orally for 2 weeks can be tried which may help with significant improvement. If that does not work, then you will likely need a hearing aid consultation with an ENT specialist. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****