Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

This morning my boyfriend woke up with a swollen nose and upper lips. Last night he applie

Customer Question

This morning my boyfriend woke up with a swollen nose and upper lips. Last night he applied a heating pad (ThermaCare) on to his lower back due to back ache and went to sleep. Also, has an allergic reaction to Acetaminophen which was not one of the ingredients on the pads. He has a history of asthma which he been using his inhaler machine for Albuterol 2.5mg/3ml every night and Montelukast 10mg Do you know what cause my face to swell up?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.I will be helping you out with your concerns.This is most likely an allergic reaction called as angioedema.I would recommend that he be seen in the ER for this as he will most likely require a steroid shot and a short course of oral steroids as well.Meanwhile he can try taking over-the-counter claritin.Let me know if you have more questions.Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I be concerned of his respiratory pathway as of right now. He does not want to go to the ER, he wants to go see his primary care doctor at 9AM. He was given Prednisone shot in the past because of an allergic reaction to Amphetamine.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes, respiratory symptoms are something concerning and if he is having respiratory symptoms, he MUST be seen in the ER and MUST NOT wait and not try anything over-the-counter like I mentioned above.Angioedema is something that can be potentially life threatening.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars).Kind regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
This session is open for any number of further questions that you may have.I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options as that is the only way I am credited here for helping you out.Kind regards