Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Can I take lisinopril 20 mil as I was on it about about 5 years

Customer Question

Can I take lisinopril 20 mil as I was on it about about 5 years ago, still have some pills left. I went the morter system and was treated by Dr. Morter himself and was able to pass my CDL physical. I would like to go for my CDL again and I just checked my BP and it was 206/118. I am 60yr old and have lost 40 pounds since first of March. 5' 10" from 220 to***** Morter has since passed.
Thanks Michael
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, 5 yr old pills will not be effective. And can cause allergic reaction due to the chemical decomposition. Your blood pressure is very high suggesting possible kidney problem. It is better to go to the urgent care for further evaluation. You will need different medications as lisinopril is sometimes contraindicated when renal hypertension is suspected. Amlodipine, chlorthalidone can be used effectively. Lisinopril can be considered only if no kidney problem detected. Please follow a low sodium diet. Avoid caffeine and energy drinks. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****