Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I recently got a pool and I get seriously sick when I float

Customer Question

I recently got a pool and I get seriously sick when I float on my back. It has happened every time, a couple times so bad I puke and go to sleep for hours. It happened again today, I floated for less than two minutes and twelve hours later, my head is hurting, I'm nauseated, dizzy and weak. Am I getting motion sickness that fast and easy? I've been on boats and never had an issue
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, It is possible you have labyrinthitis or inflammation of the inner ear. THis is caused by the viral infection or environmental allergies. The swimming pool may make this more apparent. Sudden onset of motion sickness without prior episodes is unlikely. There has to be a underlying cause. The viral infection is the most common cause. Other causes can be high blood pressure, intolerance to the pool material, high chlorinated water ( hence chlorie intolerance) etc. Does not sound serious. But you should get your pool inspected as well. Over the counter Meclizine can be tried. Best wishes, It was my pleasure to help you today. If I have answered all your questions, Please click on Excellent service so that the website allows me to assist you further :)