Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have Stage 3 Kidney disease; I am currently taking Lasix,

Customer Question

I have Stage 3 Kidney disease; I am currently taking Lasix, 40mg daily; I have not been able to reach my Kidney doctor; my legs are swollen excessively; last night I noticed my leg at just above the ankle was wet; I could not figure out where the liquid came from;
a short time ago I notice the top of my white anklet sock showed signs of water marks and the top of the sock was damp.
I then looked at the ankle area and noticed clear droplets of fluid were coming to the skin surface. At intervals the droplets continue to come out of the skin.
My question is what is happening? I have an appointment on Wed. with the doctor;
is this serious enough to go to the emergency room or should I wait until Monday when I can contact my doctor.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
this is exudative fluid which comes out of the skin when edema is very bad in your legs
you need to be elevating your legs above your heart with you laying back in a recliner as much as you can to use gravity to help pull the fluid back up
you should be seen at a lymphedema clinic
you need compression stocking on your legs to help squeeze fluid up out of them during the day
you need to cut your salt intake
you might need higher doses of lasix to help get fluid out of your kidneys but this is a tough situation since you have kidney disease.
when you put your feet up, are you able to get them higher than your heart, like if you recline back all the way in a recliner?