Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have a whistling sound coming from my nose when I breathe

Customer Question

I have a whistling sound coming from my nose when I breathe in and out I am a smoker since 17 years old I am now35 but haven't been smoking as heavily as I did for most of my smoking career , I'm down to smoking between 3 and 10 cigs a day now some days a lot of days I don't smoke any
My question is , is the whistling sound coming from my nose a wheeze from the smoking cigs or is it just a nose whistle ? I always thought wheezing from smoking would be elsewhere in the body ?? Any help appreciated
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

the whistling sound from your nose most likely is from sinus congestion and mucous congestion in your nose

the cigarettes are not helping

allergies or sinus congestion or chronic sinusitis can cause mucous to build up in your sinuses and nose, and this can cause narrowing of your nasal airways and cause whistling.

that is good you are trying to quit smoking

you should talk to your doctor about help to quit smoking

you can also use over the counter nicotine gums and patches which can help

prescription chantix and wellbutrin can also help you quit smoking.

you might benefit from allergy medications like allegra or claritin or zyrtec and steroid nasal sprays like nasocort if you have allergies causing sinus congestion and runny nose

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't feel like I'm having an allergic reaction to anything , I don't have allergies never did anyway as far as I know
What can I do to get rid of the whistle
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any sinus congestion?

any runny nose?

any dried mucous in your nose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dried mucous yes runny nose no congestion no I do take Wellbutrin tho 300mg I don't know if this could be part of the cause it's very annoying and being that I somewhat of a hyperchondriac , I am worried that my nose whistle is a wheeze like a wheeze caused from smoking which to me doesn't make a lot of sense being that today I smoked a total of 3 cigarettes
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
nose whistling is NOT a sign of wheezing from smoking.

it is from the dried mucous in your nose