Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I got a piece of tin slammed into my forarm just above my elbow,I Hava a hematoma where it

Customer Question

I got a piece of tin slammed into my forarm just above my elbow,I Hava a hematoma where it ihit &the surrounding bones are very sore
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
How long ago was the injury?
Is there any redness of the surrounding tissue?
Which pain pills have you been taking?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.
The most common causes of pain in this situation are not serious, either a deep bruise, also called a contusion, or some secondary inflammation. However, if it has been a couple days since the injury and there is an increasing amount of redness around the wound, there is a possibility that there could be an infection, either of the hematoma or of the soft tissue, called a cellulitis.
For the common causes of pain, it is appropriate to use ice for the first couple days and then use moist heat. An anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, will usually work better than acetaminophen, and if there is a greater amount of inflammation, it may require a higher dose of the anti-inflammatory medicine. The ibuprofen can be used in doses up to 2400 mg per day, in divided doses, and the naproxen can be used in doses up to 1500 mg per day, in divided doses.
If there is an infection, though, it will need antibiotics, so it will be necessary to be seen by your doctor.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can feel the hematoma,it is not red around it,thankyou I guess it will just take time to heal,it has been 2 weeks.
Yes, it will take time to heal, but the interventions noted above can help ease symptoms during the healing process.