Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I began taking Sam-e to help with a a histamine reaction I

Customer Question

I began taking Sam-e to help with a a histamine reaction I was having with probiotics. I was hoping to also benefit from the mood boosting effects.
I started having a burning sensation in my stomach and bloating. (Full disclosure: I have had food intolerance and bloating issues for some time. I've been following the paleo diet for several years, to ease digestive issues)
I started noticing the mood boosting effects, and felt very positive and almost giddy.
But the stomach side effects were too great to bear. I've been off the Sam-e for almost a week, with little improvement in my stomach issues.
I'm unsure if the problems are from the Sam-e, or additives in the brand (mannitol and artificial yellow dye).
I'm also curious if there is something that might boost my mood, without causing adverse digestive symptoms.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.
do you take any other meds including OTC like advil or aleve?