Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My name is ***** ***** my question is how to help my best friend.

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** my question is how to help my best friend. He is in so much pain I don't know what to do. He was in the army and something happened down there, and now he can't even walk. He has very severe back spasms and he has to walk with a cane. Every doctor her has went to has either turned him down or they don't do anything for him. He cannot physically fight throught them and he is struggling. I just want answers because I can't handle him being like this or seeing him like this. Please, all I want is answers. He needs help more than anything in this world. Thank you!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Do you know whether he sustained any particular injury?
What evaluation has been done for these symptoms?
Do you mean that the doctors turn him down and refuse to see him?
What reason do they give for turning him down?
Are these army doctors that turn him down?
I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.
It is unusual for a doctor to refuse to see a patient, particularly within the structure of the army medical facilities. If he is no longer in the military, but is seeking medical care for problems that arose in the military, that is a different issue. So, an understanding of the circumstances and why he was refused is necessary to best discuss how to overcome that refusal.
However, from the perspective of his symptoms, it is appropriate to pursue a proper evaluation to determine the underlying cause of his symptoms. The first step would be a physical examination, but there will usually also need to be further evaluation, such as an MRI of the lower back or nerve conduction studies or EMG of the nerves and muscles in the lower extremities.