Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had severe GI problems and just had a ultrasound done

Customer Question

I have had severe GI problems and just had a ultrasound done the other day.I t shows that I have: Mildly increased echogenicity of the liver suggestive of hepatic steatosis. Mild prominence of the spleen.
Could Pysch meds effect the spleen?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
An enlarge spleen is not a typical side effect to the common psych medicines, but to look up whether it has ever been reported, it will help if you could tell me which psych medicines you are taking.
What psych medicines are you taking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lexapro
wellburtin
Abilify
Lamotogine
Enlargement of the spleen has not been reported as a side effect to any of these medicines.
It is possible that an enlarged spleen could be indirectly linked to these medicines. The most common reason for an enlarged spleen is from liver disease, and inflammation of the liver has been rarely reported with each of these medicines.
In addition, the lamotrigine has been reported to cause a hemolytic anemia, which could be another indirect cause of an enlarged spleen.
Blood work of liver function and blood counts would be able to exclude whether any of these indirect causes of an enlarged spleen are present.
If hepatic steatosis is confirmed, then this also could be the cause of the enlarged spleen.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. Im also on Levonox injections for DVT's could that do it? I know that an enlarged spleen can cause yr blood to clot more quickly
Lovenox is not reported to cause an enlarged spleen, but it is reported to cause liver disease, so could be an indirect cause of an enlarged spleen by that mechanism.