Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Was ising the restroom (bowel movement) and wAs pushing.

Customer Question

Was ising the restroom (bowel movement) and wAs pushing. Felt an uncomfortable strain/pain sensartion in groin and now it is aggravated. Is it possible its just a muscle strain/groin strain? Or should be be worries about a hernia? Ive already had an inguinal
hernia repair in the same region. I wasnt pushing hard at all
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.
If you can see a visible lump in the groin on coughing and straining then this is most likely a hernia. Especially if you felt a "give way" feeling on the initial event. If the pain is aggravating I would suggest that you have this examined as soon as possible at an ER or an Urgent Care to rule out a recurrence or entangled bowel in the defect.
Let me know if you have any concerns about this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if i dont see a bump? Is it possible just a groin strain?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Then most likely its just a pulled muscle or adhesions breaking off. But with that the pain should settle within a couple of hours of rest and aggravate on movement only.
If the pain is constant on rest then this should be seen since a physical examination is the only thing that can evaluate this properly.
Start on an anti inflammatory like Tylenol 2 tablets every 6 to 8 hours for the pain and get some bed rest.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So its possible to strain a muscle by pushing during bowel movement without it being a hernia?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
It is possible to strain a muscle, break adhesions and scar tissue, if you have had a hernia repaired in the area before specially if the pain is not settling within a couple of hours of rest. But I would be more comfortable if you have this examined, just to rule out a recurrence or any hemorrhage in the area.
Best wishes.