Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Had blood work and urine taken the other day at the doctor.

Customer Question

Had blood work and urine taken the other day at the doctor. My bilirubin was 1.7mg/dl level and was said to be a bit high, but that I should not worry and to come back in 30 days for blood work again. The normal level I was told is 0-1.5mg/dl. Is this something I need to be worried about? I'm I sick etc? Also my creatinine level was 1.4 mg/dl and normal is to be 0-1.3. Everything else was perfect. Are these things I need to be worried about? I'm 26 years old work out every day (run and lift weights) very active and a police officer. I have the results of all of my lab work if you would like me to copy and paste them to the question. The doctor did not go over anything with me because I received my results via online. So I would like to get an idea of what a professional would have to say about the above two levels and the other levels in general!
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are all of my test results. It would be nice to know what all of these mean etc...Component Standard Range Your Value
Color, UA Amber
Clarity, UA Clear
Glucose, UA Negative
Bilirubin, UA Small
Ketones, UA Negative
Specific Gravity, UA 1.030
RBC, UA Negative
pH, UA 5.5
Protein, UA Negative
Urobilinogen, UA 0.2 mg/dl
Nitrite, UA Negative
Leukocyte Esterase, UA negativeComponent Results
Component Standard Range Your Value
Glucose 70 - 100 mg/dl 84
For the purpose of classification, fasting Glucose from 100-125 mg/dl is considered impaired fasting Glucose (Pre-Diabetic) by the American Diabetes Association.
Fasting Glucose > 125 mg/dl is indicative of Diabetes Mellitus, but must be confirmed.
BUN 6 - 24 mg/dl 21
Creatinine 0.6 - 1.3 mg/dl 1.4
Sodium 135 - 145 mmol/L 141
Potassium 3.7 - 5.1 mmol/L 3.9
Chloride 96 - 110 mmol/L 103
CO2 22.0 - 32.0 mmol/L 25.0
Anion Gap <=20 mmol/L 17
Calcium 8.5 - 10.5 mg/dl 9.1
Protein,Total 6.0 - 8.4 gm/dl 7.2
Albumin 3.5 - 5.0 gm/dl 4.8
Globulin 2.0 - 4.4 gm/dl 2.4
AST 10 - 40 u/l 33
Alkaline Phosphatase 33 - 138 u/l 61
Bilirubin,Total 0.0 - 1.5 mg/dl 1.7
ALT 12 - 78 u/l 34
GFR MDRD Af Amer >=60 mL/min/1.73 m2 >60
GFR MDRD Non Af Amer >=60 mL/min/1.73 m2 >60
*NOTE: GFR is a calculated estimate of the glomerular filtration rate.*Component Results
Component Standard Range Your Value
WBC 4.0 - 12.0 k/ul 5.5
RBC 4.30 - 5.90 m/ul 5.45
Hemoglobin 13.5 - 17.5 gm/dl 17.4
Hematocrit 39.0 - 55.0 % 50.6
MCV 80 - 100 fl 93
MCH 26.0 - 34.0 pg 31.9
MCHC 30.0 - 37.0 gm/dl 34.4
RDW 11.5 - 15.0 % 13.4
Platelets 140 - 440 k/ul 195
MPV 8.5 - 12.5 fl 10.3
Neutrophils % 64
Lymphs % 24
Monocytes % 6
Eosinophils Percent 5
Basophils Percent 0
Neutrophils Abs 1.5 - 8.0 k/ul 3.5
Lymphs Abs 1.0 - 4.5 k/ul 1.3
Monocytes Abs 0.1 - 1.1 k/ul 0.3
Eosinophils Absolute 0.0 - 0.4 k/ul 0.3
Basophils Absolute 0.0 - 0.1 k/ul 0.0
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!I have reviewed your results and it looks that you are perfectly healthy.On the creatinine this is a protein from miluscle that is eliminated by the kidneys .It is used as a marker of kidney function. It is affected by your total weight and muscle mass and degree of exercise also however.The context of you exercising makes sense as to value being 1.4 and in this context would not imply kidney disease. The bilirubin you note Will be repeated.it was only slightly out of normal range and all other markets of liver function are NORMAL. Your blood counts were normal and urine results normal. Keep in mind that these normal results are based on normal population averages and it is statitically proble to have a couple of marginal abnormal values in such a large battery of tests. So I agree with a follow up the k on the borderline elevated bilirubin. You otherwise and even including that value seem to be fine and healthy however! I would repeat renal function within 1 year and restrict exercise and drink plenty of fluids the week prior.This will help to ensure that you have no slow problem that could be impacting your renal function As well. As I noted the 1.4 creatinine for a .muscular person whom exercises seems quite normal here!! I hope that this information is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD