Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I received and electric shock a week ago directly after i had

Customer Question

i received and electric shock a week ago directly after i had an ecg which showed and abnormality rsi and inverted t wave i was told to have another ecg the followignday to make sure evrything returned to normal . i have since had a normal ecg but my resting heart rate is very high and has been since the shock i am pt and my resting heart rate would normally be 48 bpm but since the shock isnt dropping below 70bpm is this due to the shock and should i do anything ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!A resting heart rate If 70 is NORMAL!! I see no need for worry based on this ! Normal resting is technically 60 to 100...healthy more considered 60 to 80...A rate of 48 is actually sinus bradycardia ...even This is not concern if the person is highly conditioned athlete or on a BETA BLOCKER...The occurance of an electrical shock of much current is admittedly a danger to the heart!! The main danger is more immediate ...The resting heart rate of 70 would not seem to me as a cause for any alarm however ...I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i know a resting heart rate of 70 is normal but for me it is not mine is 48 at rest normally and since shock has not dropped below 70 this is not normal for me ???? i am asking if the shock has caused this as i havent lost my fitness overnight and am highly conditioned so mine should not be 70 ! answer not very helpful as not what i asked ?
No you would not have lost fitness of the heart. If you should feel any problem as to cardiac fitness then an echcardiogram would be appropriate test but shock would NOT be expected to cause such problem. Arrythmias would be concern regarding electrical shock. Damage to electrical system of heart might be reflected by finding such as widening of QRS complex as in production of intraventricular conduction delay. A Right or Left Bundle branch block would be examples of this. A normal sinus rhythm would be reassuring in this setting. I'm confident that your cardiologist would agree. I see no concern as to sinus rhythm with heart rate of 70....Any concerns could be further investigated such as holter monitor or even elctrophysiology studies.This would be more of concern if you had palpitations or periods of racing of heart without reason.... I hope that this is helpful. Let me know if you have further points of discussion. Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i understand what your saying but what i dont understand is why my resting heart has suddenly gone from 48 to an average of 70 to me this makes no sense the only thing that has happend is the electric shock ? so i know 70 isnt a problem but for me 70 isnt normal and somethig must have caused this ?
Hello again,
I understand your point. I have opted out so that perhaps a cardiologist may come in this thread to offer you further theory and discussion as to your concern.
As I look at it it would not on its face seem a problem...normal heart rate...sinus rhythm...seems reassuring to me ...
If you had injury to heart muscle then you could potentially have a decrease in cardiac output at rate of 48 and thus as compensation the new testing rate of 70...
I defer to cardiologist at this point as I am not familiar with any case that would not be reflected by other abnormals probably on EKG...if you said you were more easily tired or short of breath with exertion then that too would warrant further testing such as an echo or stress/echo for example...
As I understand it your EKG returned to normal...
Considering the potential seriousness of electrical shock to heart I think in that light an echo may be reasonable ..
It would seem on its face difficult to justify further testing looking at sinus rhythm with rate of 70...( that itself is basically seeming as ideal as you may get!!) So the necessity of further testing in one sense seems to have merit I think but from the aspect of saying rate of 70 is problem just to me in that aspect strikes me as overkill...
At any rate , I wish you the best . I'm going to leave this thread open for other experts to review...perhaps further take on your situation by cardiologist may be of further help to you!
Take Care!!