Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have been diagnosed with cellulitis last night and I am supposed

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with cellulitis last night and I am supposed to take a flight early morning tomorrow would the pressure affect the swelling I am taking antibiotics.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Where is your cellulitis infection?? The flight would not be expected to affect your infection...No not at all on that ..The state of you having this infection would increase inflammatory factors in your blood which may increase your tendency to form clots....spontaneous blood clots in the legs are somewhat increased with a flight ( especially prolonged) sitting too still for hours can lead to increased risk of spontaneous blood clots in the legs ...so this could be somewhat of increased risk... You moving your legs regularly would be helpful to reduce risk. Extending your feet and flexing your foot down and up would help.When you have chance to move about the cabin then that will help. So it should not be that I think that you can't fly with these precautions... If you have severe leg infection however then you may want to consult your doctor prior go flight. If you have severe leg swelling then added precautions might be worth considering. Your doctor might consider your specific condition and severity and help to advise you more specifically as to your situation. I hope that this information is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD