Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have shooting pains in my left shoulder.Afull dose aspirin

Customer Question

I have shooting pains in my left shoulder.Afull dose aspirin took them away for 12 hours but now they came back.should I go to a walk in clinic
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It is actually a good sign that aspirin was able to relieve the pain for 12 hours. Although aspirin is an anti-inflammatory medicine, a single dose is a relatively low level of potency for relief of inflammation. It would support that this is due to musculoskeletal inflammation.
It would be reasonable to try a course of a more potent anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Taking one of these medicines for a few days may be able to achieve a more sustained relief of the pain.
If the pain does not improve with the anti-inflammatory medicine, then it would be reasonable to see a doctor, either your primary care doctor or a walk-in clinic.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.