Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My 82 year old grandmother has been in the hospital

Customer Question

my 82 year old grandmother has been in the hospital for two days for dizziness that started about 4 months ago and has gotten progressively worse. she has had a battery of test done including a lot of blood work an ekg an eeg and a cat scan and they can find no reason why she is dizzy . her health is wonderful other than this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
can she have an MRI scan of the brain?
an MRI scan of the brain is much better than a CT scan of the brain.
does she have a pace maker which keeps her from having a brain MRI scan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes she does. they did an eeg today though and said that everything looks absolutely normal. they are completely baffled
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't want to tell you and plant ideas but she got a new pair of glasses about two weeks before the dizziness started. the first time they messed them up so she went back and they were bad again. she finally went back again and they discovered that they had left the prism out . she can see so so with them but the timing has my uncle and her thinking that its the glasses. she isn't dizzy when she is sitting only when standing and only sometimes though
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it really sounds like her eye glasses has caused her dizziness.
she needs to get the prisms in her glasses
that could fix her dizziness symptoms.
when is she going to get these prisms in her glasses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they had put the prism in four months ago . im not sure if one lense has it or both . even the doctor said the fact that they cant find anything physically wrong with her makes him think that's a good possibility as well. I just don't understand if its the glasses why she isn't dizzy all the time. she also loses words sometimes but that's normal aging I think and that's been happening for sometime. but she has had repeated test on her brain and has not had a stroke.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
when she gets up, and moves around, I think her brain is getting contradictory information between her vision and the information from her body and legs.
that is why she is not dizzy when she is just sitting there by herself.
she needs to go back to her eye doctor to get her eyes checked again and the correct glasses with the correct prisms in her lenses.
I bet that will help with her dizziness
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea. If it's her glasses causing it why isn't she dizzy all the time when she's standing why does it come and go
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
she is probably more dizzy when she is up walking and moving.
this is when the brain needs to take in both visual information and proprioception information from her legs and balance centers in her ears.
I suspect the information from her eyes is not matching the other information coming from her legs and ears and and this whys she is feeling dizzy.
when she is just standing and moving around, the brain does not need as much information from those sources