Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Dr. Uzair, my mother is 100, and sleeps increasingly more as she ages. She does not slee

Customer Question

Dr. Uzair, my mother is 100, and sleeps increasingly more as she ages. She does not sleep the nite through, generally, although she seems to sleep well and for several hours at a time. She has and is treated for hypertension, COPD, and Small Special Seizures. She is taking Kepra, Isosorbide, Metropolol succinate clonidine HCL, benicar, norvasc, minoxidel, plavix, aspirin, tolteridine tartrate, and two inhalers - ventolin and spiriva. She has a mild chronic cough, little energy, eats appropriately and maintains her weight of 125 lbs, although she is shorter! She has fully recovered from an upper arm break in December. She enjoys going out to eat lunch (or breakfast at lunch time) and still reads quite a bit. Also watches news and reads the paper, although her memory is growing poorer and she has trouble remembering what she has read. We have a great doc, but he never tells me why she sleeps so much! She walks with a quad cane and a wobble, but is willing to walk everyday a litt
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for requesting me. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
The increase in her sleep which is progressive is age related and related to all the anti epileptic medication that she takes which causes CNS depression causing the person to feel fatigued and lethargic. Increased sleep with memory loss and mood swings are also signs of Alzheimer's which again is a disease of senility.
I would suggest that you ask your doctor leading questions about why he thinks she has increased sleep patterns, since he knows her medical history the best, ***** ***** be the person to answer all your queries. You can discuss with him the above in order to generate a productive discussion.
In brief, I would think that the sleep time is increased not due to one but a number of factors, to name a few, medication side effects, age and possible Alzheimer's.
Let me know if you have more queries about this.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.