Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My husband fell in the shower and hurt about four ribs three

Customer Question

My husband fell in the shower and hurt about four ribs three or four days ago. Now he has not had a bowel movement for as many days. He also has Chrones and usually that makes him go all the time. He is miserable. He took two stool softeners twice yesterday. What should he do?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He also has chronic pancreatitis, and Hep C., plus heart disease. Also drinks beer every day.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
you should bring him to the ER
he could have fractured a rib and this could have irritated or caused perforation of his bowels to stop him having bowel movements.
he needs to go to the ER and get an abdominal and chest CT scan to look for rib fracture and also perforation of the bowel which can cause ileus or paralysis of the bowels and no further bowel movement.
do you have a hospital or ER close to you where they can check for these issues?