Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Ih ad PE on 5 2014 after surgery on cumadin 6-2014 to 1-2015

Customer Question

ih ad PE on 5 2014 after surgery on cumadin 6-2014 to 1-2015 had another surgery 4-17-2015 doctors do not know why this happens only after surgerys never had surgerys before no PE so how long do i have to take cumadin for
Category: Medical
Expert:  drn.iqtidar replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am dr.Iqtidar here. Coumadin is given to all patients that have a PE or DVT due to any reason. Pulmonary embolism can occur after surgery due to immobilisation and prolonged bed rest.After PE as you are at risk of another one as well as other complications therefore you can expect Coumodin to be prescribed at least for a duration of three months. If you are having any side effects you can discuss these with your doctor but it is essential that you take Coumodin as it will prevent other complications such as complications to the heart and will reduce chances of stroke due to the mobile blood clot. If you are satisfied with my answer please leave me a positive rating.regards,Dr.Iqtidar.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you was afraid it had to be for rest of my life l give you highest rating not stressing anymore
Hi, thanks for replying and sorry for the delay in replying. The current guidelines suggest that if the PE is provoked by surgery then only 3 months of anticoagulant therapy is required. So you must remain assured. It's not lifelong. For some reason I have not recieved any rating yet. A positive rating will be highly appreciated as we experts get paid as per rating. Thank you and best wishes.