Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

If I go to bed between 11 and 12 every night and get up between

Customer Question

If I go to bed between 11 and 12 every night and get up between 9 and 10 every day, will this give me the the normal amount of sleep needed each night?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello --A little more actually . Normal pattern is usually 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night. If the pattern you have is long term and you feel well then your average of about 10 hours per night is not necessarily a problem BUT an increased sleep requirement can at times be a sign of certain medical problems . How long have you been sleeping 9 -10 hours per night? So you feel tested in the AM? Any trouble with excess fatigue or sleepiness? Fall asleep easily if you are still?? If you feel sleepy during day and also if the sleep pattern has changed then I think that warrants more evaluation for you... Hypothyroidism (under active thyroid may cause fatigue and increased sleep requirement)Obstructive sleep apnea may cause to to have excess drowsiness ( you may have poor quality sleep ..less restorative sleep) Certain problems such as mononucleosis may also cause increased fatigue and sleep requirement. possible associations are wider in scope but I have discussed some of the most common issues that could be associated with your sleep pattern. As I mentioned thevlongervyou have tended to sleep this long and the better you feel ( or less symptoms ) then this pattern may be normal for you. I hope that this information is helpful for you.If you have further questions or concerns then I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD