Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Yesterday my swimmers did a cold water wetsuit swim, About a

Customer Question

Yesterday my swimmers did a cold water wetsuit swim, About a quarter of them got panic attacks and had difficulty breathing. The water is not that cold but the wetsuit hits your adams apple when you look up and forward. This I think causes airway constriction.
What do you think?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
Yes it does seem likely to have been either a panic attack or may have been effects of cold water.
I also think that those who did have difficulty breathing or airway constriction must be evaluated to be sure there is nothing serious and to rule out asthma among other conditions.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They DO not have asthma and the water was not that cold..
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
In that case a panic attack or anxiety attack could have been the most likely cause.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YouYou misundersood the question. If something presses on the adams apple (laryngneal prominence) can it cause breathing obstruction or the panic
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
If you mean water pressing on the Adam's apple and causing breathing problems ---> the answer to that is no, that cannot happen.
However, water can go inside the throat and can cause breathing problems which is what I think did happen.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not WATER a tight wetsuit at the neck. I wrote " a wetsuit hits your adams apple" Not water
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about all the misunderstanding.
Yes a tight suit at the adam's apple can cause difficulty in breathing particularly if it is pressing on the adams apple or just below it.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Kind regards