Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Is tramadol addictive?

Customer Question

is tramadol addictive?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Yes, there is a potential for addiction with tramadol. Tramadol has a dual mechanism of action, one of which is stimulation of the opiate receptor. The tramadol is not as addictive as a pure opiate, but there is an addiction potential from the use of tramadol.
The risk for addiction is also greater when the drug is used at higher doses or for longer periods of time. This is similar to other drugs that are potentially addictive.
Since the risk of addiction is less than the pure opiates, the drug is frequently preferred than the use of opiates. And if the drug is used, then the risk of addiction can be minimized by using the lowest effective dose for the shortest period of time that is effective.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.