Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My husband had surgery to replace a defective artificial urinary

Customer Question

My husband had surgery to replace a defective artificial urinary sphincter. The urologist accidentally nicked his urethra, causing his scrotum to swell immensely with urine and causing him excruciating pain. What should have been an overnight stay in the hospital turned into a week's stay, most of the time with him in so much pain that the painkillers wouldn't work. 5 days after the initial surgery, the doctor finally ordered a dye test done to determine where the leakage had occurred. On the sixth day, the sphincter was removed, and on the seventh day he was sent home. Now he has virtually no control over his bladder. How common is this occurrence? Does he have any recourse against the doctor? He would like to have the spincter replaced again, but doesn't want to take a chance of repeating this nightmare experience.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
here is an article
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17296403
Complication rates were infection in 5.5% of cases, erosion in 6.0%, urethral atrophy in 9.6%, mechanical failure in 6.0% and surgical removal or revision in 27.1%.
so there are high complication rates for patients who have artificial urinary sphincters. about 1/4 of them have to be replaced or revised.
he can get a lawyer and have his cased reviewed for medical malpractice if he wants to sue the doctor.
he might need to go to a larger academic university medical center where he can see other urologist who might have more experience in this type of sphincter revision.
prostatectomy often will cause loss of urinary control of urine
that is why I am more of a fan of radiation therapy for prostate cancer than surgery.
let me know if you have questions.