Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am extremely constipated. It's been almost 2 weeks since

Customer Question

I am extremely constipated. It's been almost 2 weeks since I've had a bowel movement, besides very small amounts of loose stool. I started by trying Milk of Magnesium for a couple days, and when that didn't work I tried ex-lax. Finally, I have tried a saline enema the past two nights, and still nothing. I can feel the stool trying to come out, but it seems to be too big and too hard. Is there anything else that I should try, or should I seek medical attention? Could this be a symptom of a worse problem? Note that I have not had much issue with constipation before this condition.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your question.
Yes, at this juncture after trying everything you can without results you definitely should seek medical attention. And yes the cause for the acute constipation needs to be found out. In most cases this is due to faulty dietary habits, and increasing fiber intake and exercising is beneficial. However in some cases this may be due to blockages in the gastrointestinal tract or due to hormonal problems such as low thyroid hormones. But now you need urgent treatment and later tests can be done to diagnose the cause.
Take care.