Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

MY NAME IS***** AM 67 AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AN

Customer Question

HELLO MY NAME IS***** AM 67 AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AN ACTIVE PERSON AND QUITE HEALTHY. FOR ABOUT THE LAST MONTH TO 6 WEEKS OR SO I HAVE BEEN HAVING UNUSAL PAIN IN MY BACK MIDSECTION BEHIND MY RIBS ON BOTH SIDES AND HAS NOW GRAVITATED TO THE FRONT OF MY RIB AREA ON BOTH SIDES ... IT IS NOT CONSTANT ... IT COMES AND GOES BUT PRETTY OFTEN ... SOMETIMES IT MAKES ME CATCH MY BREATH OR JUST STOP IN MY TRACKS. I'VE HAD BACK SPASMS IN THE PAST AND THIS DOES NOT FEEL LIKE THAT EXACTLY. I HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING I AM AWARE OF TO OVER EXERT MYSELF THAT I AM AWARE OF. I AM ALSO FEELING THAT THESE SENSATIONS ARE NOT MUSCULAR. ANY ADVICE?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Indeed I am also concerned about your symptoms.
Angina pectoris or ischemic heart disease can cause this type of pain wrapping around your ribcage.
Hence, that should be checked with EKG, echocardiogram, cardiac enzymes, stress test.
The next possibility can be costochondritis or inflammation of the rib cartilage.
Viral infection causes this commonly and the pain can be persistent.
Lastly, arthritis of the thoracic spine can cause nerve compression and hence the pain along the nerve distribution.
Please check with your doctor soon.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****