Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am supposed to get a testosterone test, but I don't know

Customer Question

I am supposed to get a testosterone test, but I don't know what time of day to get it. The normal recommendation is to get it done before 10am - however, my schedule is quite unusual at the moment. I usually am awake until 3am and wake up around 12pm, so my circadian rhythm is different from the average person. Does this mean I should get the test done around when I normally wake up for optimal results (11am - 1pm rather than 7am to 9am)?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your question.
The sample is usually taken early in the morning, preferably around 8 o'clock. So now you have two options, the first and the recommended one is to sleep early and get up early at 6 or 7 AM and get the test done at 8 AM. If this is not possible at all, then the second option is to get it done at 1 PM based on your present sleep routine. This will give optimal results, since in healthy adult men, circulating levels of testosterone have a distinct pattern, with increasing levels during sleep toward a maximum around the time of awakening and a decrease during the day.
Take care.