Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I've been diagnosed with duodenal atrophy. I do have ulcerative

Customer Question

I've been diagnosed with duodenal atrophy. I do have ulcerative colitis. I've been sick for months with vomiting, low grade fevers, severe nausea and diarrhea. They recently found that my stomach and esophagus are inflamed and there is narrowing of the esophagus. I also have a hiatal hernia. I don't know what duodenal atrophy is and what to do.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello! The duodenum is the first segment of the small intestine from the stomach. Atrophy means that this segment has thin walls more so than it should. Your history of trouble up and down the GI tract makes me wonder if you might have a different form of inflammatory bowel disease >> Crohn's?? The inflammation of the stomach = gastritis and espohagus = esophagitis.. I think it sounds that you need a regimend to include a medicine to reduce stoamch acid for one ( Nexium OTC or a prescription one such as Dexilant or protonix for examples) I would also strongly consider adding medicien to absorb bile acids because of the duodenal atrophy ( bile acids enter from the pancreatic duct into the duodenum.. these acids help in digestion but may themselves be an irritant.. adding a medicine such as Welchol or Questran may help to absorb some of the bile acids and may help reduce potential irritation to what sounds to be more delicate duodenum These measures plus something for nausea sucha s Zofran should help.. You are probably seeing a gastroenterologist. I would discuss these measures with your specialist. This doctor should be in best position to help you with this combination of trouble. I hope that this is helpful for you! Let me know if you have furher questions. Best Regards, ***** ***** MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help.
Hello again!You are very welcome! I hope that you find improvement soon! It sounds that you have your hands full! Oh the hiatal hernia is just where the top of the stomach rises above the level of the diapragm. 40 percent of people have that...it does make reflux more likely to occur You may also benefit to observe reflux precautions -- wait 1.5 hour after you eat before lying down ...elevate head of bed with blocks 4 to 6 inches and that helps Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you! Please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards!!Anthony Bray MD