Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I just started on prednisone 60mg still having hard time with

Customer Question

I just started on prednisone 60mg still having hard time with asthma I also just took a neb anything I should do or do I need to wait
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Which nebulized medicine have you been using?
How bad is the shortness of breath?
What are you able to do before the shortness of breath stops you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on albuterol in the nebulizer all I been doing is laying in bed at this point it's 1230am here.i haven't able to do much it still feels tight I dunno if it can be from the humidity it's just feels tight nebulizer just made me shakey
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my last response it didn't seem to go thru
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shortness of breath isn't great just hard to breath I wanna see If I can avoid the er that is why I went to urgent care earlier
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do u think this woukd be better over phone or Skype can hear me I never saw option before
Thank you for the additional information.
It is common for oral prednisone to take a day or two to start getting control of an asthma exacerbation. When someone has a bad asthma exacerbation that requires more urgent response, we would usually consider the use of an injectable steroid.
There are several other options of treatment that can be used by your doctor, but there is unfortunately only a limited number of interventions that can be tried at home.
The nebulized albuterol is a good medicine for immediate relief of shortness of breath. It also would be fine to take an over the counter antihistamine/decongestant, but this usually does not provide much relief for asthma unless there is a strong allergy component.
However, if someone is having severe shortness of breath despite nebulized albuterol, it would usually be better to be seen in the emergency room. If the shortness of breath is more moderate, then giving the prednisone some time would be reasonable. Since you are saying that the shortness of breath is not bad, then it would be OK to give the predisone some more time, but if the shortness of breath gets bad, then it would be better to be seen in the ER.
If I can provide any clarification or additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do u think talking over phone woukd help to see how I'm sounding or u think I should give it more time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or we could use Skype whatever think is best
Talking over the phone would usually not provide sufficient information to judge whether the shortness of breath is severe unless you are so short of breath that you cannot complete sentences. As long as you are at home, you are the best judge of whether the shortness of breath is severe. Of course, the doctor that examined you earlier in the Urgent Care Center would have been able to better assess the severity of the symptoms, and apparently judged that the severity did not warrant injectable steroids. So, you can also consider the severity compared to when you were seen earlier. If the shortness of breath is similar to the level that was present earlier, then it would be OK to give it some more time.
The system says that you have requested a phone call. If so, it can help for the exchange of information, even if not as an assessment of the severity of shortness of breath. If you would like a phone call for exchange of information, please let me know.