Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 67 year old man with diabetes haven't alcohol in 2 years

Customer Question

I am 67 year old man with diabetes
haven't alcohol in 2 years
will sugar free energy drinks like rock star hurt my heart or liver ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
There are a couple of minor issues with this energy drink.
The primary issue would be the caffeine content, but this is true for the vast majority of energy drinks. A modest amount of caffeine intake is generally not an issue and is well tolerated. However, high amounts of caffeine intake, either from energy drinks or other sources, can cause excessive stimulation of the heart. So, it is a general recommendation that anyone with heart disease or at risk of heart disease should only drink caffeinated beverages in moderation.
The Rockstar also has a moderate amount of sodium, but whether this would be an issue would depend upon the amount of sodium intake from other sources.
There also is a minor concern with drinking fluids containing artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners are clearly better than drinking su***** *****quids. But studies show that simply changing to liquids with artificial sweeteners do not lead to the amount of weight loss as would be thought. It may simply be that it is continuing to encourage a sweet tooth, but the exact mechanism is unclear. Again, a modest amount of drinking artificial sweeteners is probably fine, but should be limited.
So, some drinking of this energy drink would be fine, but ingestion of a large amount of it should be avoided.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.