Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had gastric bypass surgery 19 years ago. On a recent trip

Customer Question

I had gastric bypass surgery 19 years ago. On a recent trip to my family doctor she said I have a huge hernia in my stomach. I hAVE AN APPOINTMENT in nine days to see a surgeon. I anm very sick vomiting, constipation , bloating gas , burping gas severe stomach cramps. Do you think I should wait on the appointment in 9 days or go to the emergency room?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from Just Answer.
The primary factor that would determine whether you should be seen in the emergency room is the severity of symptoms. If you are having severe abdominal pain or vomiting, that would be more of a concern and would warrant being seen emergently.
The vast majority of people with a stomach hernia can wait for the appointment in 9 days, even with a huge hernia. But if you are having severe symptoms, even with a small hernia, it would be better to be seen emergently.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.