Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had a bike accident a few weeks ago and now have a large

Customer Question

I had a bike accident a few weeks ago and now have a large & growing lump on my left hip. The thing is the size of a large orange & growing. Nothing is broken. I was told to place a hot pack on this. That's all. Will this cause this to burst? and is that dangerous. I don't have insurance, so the ER doesn't want to deal with me. Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, THis is a large hematoma from the injury. The blood breaks down causing orange color. Actually you should apply ice pack to prevent to get bigger. Heat does not help. The body will gradually absorb the blood and the swelling will resolve. May take 2-3 weeks. Not usually dangerous. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****