Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have MS since 2007. I have a weakness on my left side. I

Customer Question

I have MS since 2007. I have a weakness on my left side. I all so have a sleep disorder. Sleep apnea .I have been wearing my mask every night for 4 years. I have started fall a sleep on my job. My doctor put me on Nuvigil to keep me awake,. I started with 50 mg now I'am up to 200 mg. And it's not working. I get sleepy driving . I work at a paper mill for 37 years. I work in a lab. I have been falling a sleep a lot in the last year. I have to handle 4 liters contianers of HYDROCHLORIC ACID, SURFURIC ACJD IAM afraid I may fall a sleep and drop it . AS of today I am not going to do it any more. because I don't know when I might fall a sleep or my left arm may give out on me . I love my job but I don't trust my self any more .And I have putting the wrong numbers in the computer too.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
I am sorry you are having such bad fatigue during the day
you need to get your thyroid hormone levels checked and B12 and iron and ferritin levels checked.
low thyroid hormone levels or high thyroid hormone levels can cause poor sleep at night time which can make you more tired during the day.
your MS can cause severe fatigue during the day
you should try Provigil or modafinil which can go up to 400mg a day max dose which can help you stay awake during the day.
Ritalin or methylphenidate could also help you stay awake during the day as well.
have you tried these options yet?