Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have had anosmosis ten years. I stopped smoking in 2001.I h

Customer Question

I have had anosmosis for over ten years. I stopped smoking in 2001.
I have taken antidepressants for 15 yrs: Prozac, then Lexapro, 10 mg. combined with Wellbutrin, from 100 mg.-250 mg. I also take Nexium 40 mg for acid reflux. I have Barrett's esophagus, stable for 5 yrs. Now I am off Lexapro and Topomax and started 100 mg. of Lamictal. During the last ten yrs., my sense of taste is also decreasing. Since starting Lamictal 6 weeks ago, my sense of taste is now essentially gone. I only recognize tart, sweet, salty, spicy hot. I will be in touch with my Dr. 7/9/15, but want info on progressive altered taste due to depression meds, since this side effect is not at the top of anyone's long list to my knowledge.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I think you mean anosmia.
Lack of functioning smell...which affects taste.
Is that your diagnosis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is the diagnosis for the lack of sense of smell. Now no taste.
OK
If ENT has determined it is due to cell destruction of the olfractory nerves, this is often , most often, permanent.
If that has not been determined, and if it is a side effect, the medication should be stopped for 6 weeks to see if this makes a difference.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.