Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

This is kind of a long story. About 6 months to a year ago

Customer Question

This is kind of a long story. About 6 months to a year ago I would get constipated before bed but later on in the night I would have to get up and use the bathroom several times. Stools generally are loose but not diarrhea. I just figured this was normal or just IBS. So that can be unrelated to what's going on now but it could be related. About 2 months ago I got dry heaves at night. A few days later my girlfriend got them with diarrhea. Symptoms are generally worse in the mornings and nights. Sometimes we will feel better for a few days and then it will come back. Symptoms are diarrhea, or in my instance having to go a lot at night, extremely painful stomach cramps where it feels like someone . The vomiting is just dry heaves with nothing really coming up aside from saliva and mucus. We both went to the doctor and they ran stool tests. Everything came back negative. We also had our water tested which came back negative. My girlfriend and I live together and both have the same symptoms
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Since, you both are having the same symptoms and you live together one often thinks about contamination and infection but that has been ruled out since your stool tests were clear, which usually is not the case in contamination and infection. People living together often have the same diet since they eat together and have the same routine more or less so other GI conditions should also be looked in to.
I would suggest that you both have you liver function tests done and an upper abdominal ultrasound scan to rule out gall bladder conditions such as gall stones or a dysfunctional gall bladder which can produce diarrhea, nausea and vomiting with painful stomach cramps.
I also suggest that you both have your stools checked for ova and eggs of parasites since parasitic infestations also present like this.
A full blood count to rule out eosinophilia - a sign of parasitic infestation.
If that is the case, you both can be put on anti helmintic or anti parasitic medication which is a single dose drug taken once for eradication.
I also suggest that you start on Omeprazole (Prilosec) 20 mg twice a day taken 20 minutes before a meal and see a Gastroenterologist for further evaluation of the upper GI tract, H. pylori, gastritis can also present with these symptoms. Mean while, you both should be on a low fiber diet to give your gut some rest and to alleviate the nausea symptoms.
In my opinion, this is not IBS unless everything else has been ruled out and that can only be done by a complete and more thorough evaluation by a GI doctor.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Let me know if you have any more concerns about this.
Best wishes.