Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I went to an EMT and he examined my throat and determined I

Customer Question

I went to an EMT and he examined my throat and determined I have a spot on my voice box and he wants a biopsy ? what is the procedure and will there be any damage to the voice
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello!The ENT would spray back of throat with a numbing medicine. He would use a special scope as was used to look at your vocal cords if he made the decision to make biopsy. The procedure to biopsy would be very similar in terms of what you would experience. A tiny sample of the vocal cords would be taken .. They may have small amount of bleeding to stop... A biopsy alone would not be a major procedure ...You may later have soreness of the throat and may have reactive swelling of the vocal cord to make you hoarse ... Hopefully the biopsy will show no bad result such as cancer Your experience with the biopsy would be very similar to the scope procedure that you have already had done though ... Your recovery from the biopsy should be straight forward however... I hope that this is helpful.Let me know if you have further questions.Best Regards!Anthony Bray MD