Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I need a second opinion from a gastroenterologist. My husband

Customer Question

I need a second opinion from a gastroenterologist. My husband (75) developed severe ischemic colitis after a course of Ceftin to clear up an upper respiratory infection in November 2014. He was hospitalized for a week. No C. Diff. It is now July and he developed another bout of colitis but the bleeding was not as severe. He is on the BRAT diet. He is taking Protonix for his GERD and Trental.
I have read that Ceftin can produce diarhhea and/or colitis many months after taking Ceftin. He is not allergic to Penicillan as far as we know, no other allergies to meds. No fever, no chills.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.
I searched pubmed.gov for ceftin and ischemic colitis and didn't find a reference.
his second event of colitis doesn't sound like it was related to ceftin.
usually the colitis which is caused by ceftin antibiotics is clostridium difficile colitis infection.
he needs a colonoscopy and biopsy of his colon wall and testing for gluten allergies
some colitis causes can't be found
he could also be having small blood clots at his age in his mesentary causing ischemic colitis as well. he might benefit from a D Dimer test to check for small blood clots.
it might not be the ceftin causing his ischemic colitis
let me know if you have questions.