Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Last week I started feeling unwell with a stomach ache that

Customer Question

Last week I started feeling unwell with a stomach ache that I thought was a flu bug but then the day after I started getting a pain near my belly button. It stayed there for a day and then it just worked its way towards the lower right side. I started to feel really sick with a fever, not eating and just not feeling good at all. I went to the doctor and they gave me a STAT CT scan and blood test which both came back normal other than some gas in the appendix. However, my doctor said that all my symptoms led him to believe that I have the beginning of an appendicitis so he wanted to get me seen by a surgeon because he mentioned that CT scans can sometimes miss an inflamed appendix. That surgeon can't fit me in til next week so I have to tough through the pain and pray that nothing bad happens. However, I just started my period and I'm afraid that if I go to the doctor he will try to associate my pain with cramps. I know the difference and I most definitely don't recall ever getting sick with right side pain before my period has started. The pain in my right side is still there along with my 'normal' period symptons but I've never felt this bad while on my period nor have I ever had a period cramp that stayed in one spot. Should I wait until my period is over before I return to the doctor? My pain level has been at a 6 frown no tears but at night it gets to the point where I can cry because of how uncomfortable I am no matter which way I lay.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on day six of barely eating and when I do it's a couple crackers to take my antibiotics which is definitely abnormal for me when I am on my period because I usually want to eat everything.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
This is a terrible situation for you.
Being not able to eat, with antibiotic associated diarrhea and stomach pain can be a hard time to go through.
You had gas in the appendix --that means you may have developed necrotizing appendicitis.
This is a surgical emergency as the nectrotic appendix can cause widespread infection of the peritoneum.
Your worsening of the symptoms does not bode well.
No this is not period related issue.
Ideally, you should go back to the ER in a bigger hospital and get the Ct scan repeated.
This time it will pick up the problem better as the disease progressed over time.
And then you may undergo emergency surgery if deemed necessary .
At least your problem can be addressed by the IV pain meds, fluids and IV antibiotics if nothing else.
This is not a good idea to wait at home longer as nothing much can be done since your oral intake is minimal.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****