Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a colonoscopy on Thursday and it I now Saturday. I have

Customer Question

I had a colonoscopy on Thursday and it I now Saturday. I have not yet had a bowel movement nor feel the urge to ave one yet. Is this normal?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Yes, this is very common. On a day to day basis, defecation will only empty the lower portion of the colon, while the material in the upper and mid colon will progress to be in bowel movements over the next couple days. For a colonoscopy, since the entire colon is cleaned, then it will take some time for the material to fill the upper and mid colon before moving downstream to fill the lower colon and then feel the urge to have a bowel movement.
Therefore, it is common for someone to go a couple days without a bowel movement after the cleaning that is done for a colonoscopy, and since the transit time through the gut will vary between individuals, there are some people in whom it may take 3-4 days before a bowel movement. Generally speaking, as long as you are not having any pain, nausea, or vomiting, then food is likely progressing through the gut normally and will ultimately generate a bowel movement.
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.