Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

This last spring, my husband asked the landscaper to put down

Customer Question

This last spring, my husband asked the landscaper to put down mesh (that the highway department uses) over the lawn seed at our lake cabin. We have had trouble growing grass on the slightly sloped and shaded yard. They did that, putting it down with hundreds of those large steel staples (which are now very rusty). I have two questions:
1. My little poodle had to be taken to the vet with two fractured toenails. She might have to have surgery and she is an old dog, so not safe. She gets her little feet stuck in the mesh (then pulls to get unstuck), and that is the likely cause of the fractures. I have been pulling up the mesh, but the yard is big and it is very tiring work. Have you ever heard of this happening to dogs (or other animals)? I feel the landscaper should have told my husband of the dangers with using that product. Should I completely pull it all up?
2. I am worried about those staples coming up (especially since I am pulling the mesh up), someone walking barefoot across the yard, and then getting cut with one of those. We have grandchildren who are here quite often. Should I be concerned about those? And if so, how does one find them all to pull them up?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.
As long as the grandchildren are up to date on their shots they should be fine
I wouldn't worry about that
As for getting them up that is going to be a landscaping person that would be able to tell you better than me
The issue with this question is that you need 3 experts. A doctor, a vet and a landscaper.
I'm just the doctor part but I can tell you that the grandchildren should be fine