Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Bladder problems that are keeping me home bound. I cannot

Customer Question

Bladder problems that are keeping me home bound. I cannot wear protectors. It is very unpredictable. My anxiety makes matters worse. I have to several Urologists and they have only made matters worse, so now I am using herbs, etc. Can you help me? Glenda in Indiana
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Well it sounds a bit discouraging if you have consulted a urologist and feel that this has not been helpful...There are a number of possiblecproblemd that may lead to incontinence .. OAB = Over Active Bladder...The bladder in this condition may have spasms which may cause unpredictable incontinence ...this is often treated with bladder muscle relaxant medications ( many available -- DetrolDitropan, Myrebetric, etc...many other options) Your urine should be checked for infection with urinalysis ...infection ifcpresent needs antibiotic treatment .... irritation of bladder may be associated with UTI OR other conditions - Over the counter analgesic (AZO standard ) may be helpful to reduce sense of bladder irritation and also could be helpful to reduce incontinnice in certain contions... There is an inflammatory condition of the bladder called interstitial cystitis which needs to be diagnosed by a urologist with a scope of the bladder. There are a range of treatments for interstitial cystitis...Elmiron is one treatment option... Kidney stones may be an irritant.. Certain medications may be an irritantvor may bladder control worse So it is a fairly complex issue. Perhaps consulting a different urologist may be a helpful avenue for you. avoiding caffeine may help. . Daily vitamin C 500 mg a day may help reduce frequent UTI S but if interstitial cystitis may make things worse ( acidity of urine helps reduce infections but may aggravate certain conditions ) again it is a complex potential issue...I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD