Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I was having severe abdominal pains..felt like gas pains around

Customer Question

I was having severe abdominal pains..felt like gas pains around 3:30 this afternoon...around 4:30 I got diahhrrea and it was noting but pure watery stool.I figured the pains would relent, as usually happens, but they didn't. To be honest, I was at work as a bartender (only one on duty) so I was straining to get it over with...I went home and it's continued, now my stools are pink and not sure if I should go to ER. I did eat a little spaghetti (with red sauce) and to prevent dehydration, I did unfortunately have a CHERRY popsicle...not sure if that's what's coming through or not. What's coming through now is just mucousy pink tinged stool. Hate to waste the doctor's time if this is just residual popsicle....
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
Thanks for your question.
Based on the description of severe abdominal unrelenting pain and pink stools I would consider bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract as something that needs to be investigated and ruled out initially. That is my first priority. However this could very well be, as you said the color of the food that you ate because food may be moving through the intestine too quickly, such as due to diarrhea and not digested properly. You may be having viral gastroenteritis which causes diarrhea and abdominal pain.
But pink stools demand a visit to a doctor or in emergency since it may indicate bleeding. Also the doctors would need to diagnose what is exactly causing the severe abdominal pain.
Take care.