Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have just recieeved hemoglobin A1C results showing Hgb

Customer Question

Hi. i have just recieeved hemoglobin A1C results showing Hgb A1c 6.4% and est avg glucose 137.0 i was still recovering from a URI, sinus infection and unknown to me at the time, UTI. i had not been eating well as i had been pretty sick for the previous two weeks. i am a very fit 53 year old female. 4'10, 100 pounds, i do strenous MMA classes 2-3 times a week, ( but again, had not done them in several weeks as i was sick) i have been a vegetarian for 30 years, and eat pretty healthfully. ( had not been eating enough or well during the two weeks prior to test) i am on no medications, i am a moderate smoker, and drink 5-7 drinks a week. do i need to be concerned about these results, and most importantly what sort of natural treatments can i be doing at this time?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Your current result suggests prediabetes as it is below 6.5
Infections can false raise the blood sugar level.
So that may not be an accurate measurement.
You should get the hemoglobin a1c level checked within next 8 to 10 weeks when you are free of any symptoms.
it is better to give up smoking as that does not help at all.
Regarding alcohol you should moderate it to 2-3 drinks a week.
Exercise regularly -you do it now.
Diet plays a vital role.
Please eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables, especially dark green leafy vegetables and orange, yellow, purple and red colored fruits and vegetables. They have natural antiseptic and anticancer properties. Tomatoes, Beetroots and broccolis are very good for liver and also offer protection against cancer.
Saturated fats like: full-cream dairy products, margarines, processed vegetable oils (hydrogenated fats), deep fried foods should be avoided.
Please consider oat, rice, almond or soy milks.
Eat the good fats which contain essential fatty acids in their natural unprocessed form.
The examples of good fats are: cold pressed vegetable and seed oils, avocados, fish (especially oily fish such as sardines, salmon, tuna, herring, sablefish, flounder, trout, bass and mackerel), shrimp, prawns and crayfish, raw fresh nuts, raw fresh seeds such as flaxseeds (linseeds), sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, alfalfa seeds, pumpkin seeds and legumes (beans, peas and lentils).
Please consume hummus, tahini, tomato paste or relish, freshly minced garlic and cold pressed oil (chilli or other natural spices can be added if enjoyed), nut-spreads, fresh avocado instead of butter or margarin.
Please avoid artificial chemicals and toxins such as insecticides, pesticides, and artificial sweeteners and colorings, (especially aspartame), flavorings and preservatives.
Please consume a wide range of proteins from grains, raw nuts, seeds, legumes, eggs, seafood, and free range chicken (without the skin), and lean fresh red meats.
If you want to be vegetarian, then be sure to take supplements like, vitamin B 12 ( 1000 mcg daily), iron ( 60 mg daily), taurine and carnitine (1000mg daily) to avoid poor metabolism and fatigue. To obtain first class protein, strict vegetarians need to combine 3 of the following 4 food classes at one meal – grains, nuts, seeds and legumes; otherwise valuable essential amino acids may be deficient.
In summary, proteins, unsaturated fats and complex carbs are good for you.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****